Translate to Indonesian by: Pr Berens
(Acts 22:3 Matthew 19:16-22 focus on verse 20 ) - Matthew 6:19-21
Note: Anybody between 15 to 30 years old was considering young at that time. I want you to make a contrast between Paul and the Rich Young ruler (when Paul was young was a disciple of one of a greater teacher of his time before Christ, his name was Gamaliel.)
God proved these two young persons in different ways and different situations and when God call them they make opposite decisions
· When God call them it seems both HAVE THE POTENTIAL to become good disciples …but :
. one was approved and the other one failed
· One decide to take the eternal gift and the other prefer the temporal things of this word
· One choose the spiritual things, the other just take religion
· One became God dependent on the other rituals dependent
· One consider everything as trash but the other prefer keep the garbage that the world says is valuable, even when everybody knows that when you die you cannot take anything with you.
(Brothers remember that: “money could be a good servant but it is a bad lord” and Jesus talking about money says you can’t serve to lords )
THE RICH MAN TRUST IN IS OWN HABILITY He think, There must be something else to do and he recognizing before Jesus he was still searching something more ( see Matthew 19:20 ) .
Responding to his consultation, Jesus says to this young man : one thing more you could " do" do that " Sell what you have and give it to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me " ( Matthew 19:21 ) . BUT HE DONT WANTED TO DO THAT AND DIDN’T DO IT .After that he went.
· PAUL LEAVE ALL HE HAVE OR HE WAS FOR CHRIST. Listen carefully what he says
Philippians 3:7-14 FORGETTING: Forgetting is a present tense verb (THAT MEANS EVERY DAY YOU MUST TO FORGET THAT WAS VALUABLE FOR YOU IN THE PAST)
"But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. More than that , I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost everything , …..13 brothers , I count not myself to have apprehended : but this one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to those things are ahead, follow to the goal for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus " Philippians 3:7-14
ALSO Peter wrote to the churches: "Beloved, DO NOT thinks it strange,"
· Peter knew the horrible trial in which they were, but he recommended that to believers who think that their situation was strange (1st Peter 4:12 ) .
· Their trials and sufferings were not in harmony with what we know of God, or his idea of salvation, but Peter says "Do not surprise" 1 Peter 4:12
· Some of them was martyrs for their faith.
. Others would suffer economic losses, and to many other kind of looses
all because of they believe in Jesus and walk in obedience to Him
The paths to spiritual depth is long and often find obstacles, if you follow Him You will discover that suffering shifts the focus of his life and prayer.
The suffering was the means God uses to examine what you are asking.
The blessing is often served in a bitter cup.
The youth rich want the blessing without suffering or difficulties; often you have to lose to win.
The only thing that the young man heard was the Jesus indication “sold everything “, and did not get the invitation to follow Him .
. The young man did not understand the sense of losing some things to win the others more important things. THAT WAS BITTER FOR his ears.
. The selfish youth man left the area that day :
· without Jesus,
· without blessing ,
· without peace ,
· without the eternal life
· and ... without God.
And ….since that day his properties would bring him no satisfaction, and these properties become just a silent reminder of his SELFISH LIFE an poor religion .
Gethsemane, that name means "place of grinding” or " oil press ", which crushed and squeeze the fruit of the olive to extract the oil . He put his life for others.
· Paul left behind his education, his religion, his future as a Sanhedrin member, more AND BECOME APOSOL AND AN IMPORTANT PART OFTHE NEW TESTAMENT WAS INSPIRED THROUG HIM .
· Peter left behind his business as a fisherman, his boat, his net , and more AND BECOME APOSOL
· Jesus left behind his glory, and faces the cross AND BECOME VICTORIOUS REDIMER
· Sometime God invite us to face our own gethsemane, (our oil press), to bless us and bless others
The Rich young don’t left behind nothing …and don’t recipe anything AND LOOSE EVERYTHING WHEN HE DIES
· Learn to give
· Learn to choose the eternal things over the temporal things
· Learn to have a correct scale of values
· Remember sometimes Help us learn everything good could become in a bitter cup.
Today I encourage you to choose the eternal things over the temporal things and don’t be afraid for any suffering would be come because always God will be bless you over any sadness or pain.
Youths take the example of the apostle Paul when he says in Philippians 3:7-14 "But what things were gains to me, those I counted loss for Christ. More than that, I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, "